Gaming Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encore 5 04/12/10

4 posters

Go down

Encore 5 04/12/10 Empty Encore 5 04/12/10

Post  Magee Wed Nov 24 2010, 10:24

ENCORE 4TH DEC

Place: Magee University, MF Building (beside the bottom car park), University of Ulster - Magee, Londonderry,

Time: 9am until 10pm

Price: £5

Tournaments: SSF4, T6, YGO, AND MORE

Anything Else: Kinect, DND, Dancing Stage, Retro Corner, Tabletop Section, Manga Library, Anime Showcase & Anime Quiz!

Prizes: YES

Bad News: Over 18's only :(

More info to come, stay tuned, tell everyone!

Warhammer 40K Tournament All day event

it will consist of 3 different battles for each player.
there will be at least 4 battle top tables on the day therefore if attendance is good we will have
battles consisting between 1750pts

11am - 9pm with time for lunch/dinner

also there will be a spare battle table for fun play (not in tournament)

been working well hard on our tables, have full 8ft by 4ft table, a 6ft by 4ft tournament scenery on it (not quite finished but hopefully done for the event), and 2 normal 6ft tables

There will be a big painting table with all paints, painting tools, modeling tools etc.
which will allow anyone to build paint and battle within the one room.

tournament prizes are: GW voucher's (20 pound voucher for winner, more vouchers will be given depending on amount of people turn up).

5 pounds Entry

have added more info about tournament in my replies further down in this topic please refer to them to give you all info on the tournament.

if you want to make sure your list suits my criteria, or to let me know that you will be attending you can freely send it to me via email under my profile or pm me thanks

More info:
http://www.mageecore.com/index.php?option=com_ccboard&view=postlist&forum=3&topic=395&Itemid=53

Last edited by Magee on Sun Nov 28 2010, 10:55; edited 6 times in total
Magee
Magee

Back to top Go down

Encore 5 04/12/10 Empty Re: Encore 5 04/12/10

Post  Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 10:38

Interesting...

Hope this goes well for you guys, is it your first event of this type?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Magee Wed Nov 24 2010, 10:46

done it a few times not been really successful

but now we got real tables and hopefully well be able to get a good crowd going, and a good tournament concept so be a fun day
Magee
Magee

Back to top Go down

Post  kwi Wed Nov 24 2010, 20:40

Have you a rulespack up yet?
kwi
kwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Magee Thu Nov 25 2010, 10:48

Pretty simple 1750pts army list, following the force organization chart, so all the usual deployment rules
also as there are so many overpowered characters, basically no characters allowed (i.e eldrad,canis wolfbaine, night bringer stuff like that)
normal HQ can be taken. infiltrating units, scouts, deepstrike units all allowed.

Making scenarios for the tournament on the 3 battles that will be conducted but will only be released on the day of the event
Magee
Magee

Back to top Go down

Post  sir_m1ke Fri Nov 26 2010, 03:14

personally i would rather special characters remained in, they are all relatively balanced or horrendously overcosted so they wont be unfair. plus the newer (5e) character change the dynamic of the armies they are leading, which leads to a greater variety of playstyles and armies

you might also want to get some details of the tournament up quickly on your forum, for anyone who would have to make plans for travel- thinking of myself of course Big Grin and a detailed tournament pack will mean that there is no confusion of army composition, its all a bit vague considering ther is only a week to go to it. is painting judged? is sportsmanship judged? are these included in the final scores? stuff like that needs to be broadcast beforehand, to let people know

but certainly i would be interested in attending, depending on the details and my travel plans Rocking
sir_m1ke
sir_m1ke

Back to top Go down

Post  kwi Fri Nov 26 2010, 03:24

Not meaning any offense, I was at a previous event you ran and TBH the 3 of us who drove from Ballymena to attend decided on the way home that organisation needed vastly improved before we would attend again. One of our members games was delayed as one of the participants was also an event organiser and disapeared for a while. Also only having only 4 tables (You really do need more.) have you not considered making it a doubles event, that way you would have 16 participants rather than only 8. As sir m1ke has said a published rulespack helps no end in helping people decide if they want to go or not, at the very least a timetable. May I suggest that some of your team attend events elsewhere, if even just to get some ideas.
kwi
kwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 26 2010, 03:57

Good points raised above, but worth praise that you guys are doing something like this. I'm sure if you take constructive feedback on board, your events will be an all round success.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Makenshi Fri Nov 26 2010, 10:47

kwi wrote:Not meaning any offense, I was at a previous event you ran and TBH the 3 of us who drove from Ballymena to attend decided on the way home that organisation needed vastly improved before we would attend again. One of our members games was delayed as one of the participants was also an event organiser and disapeared for a while. Also only having only 4 tables (You really do need more.) have you not considered making it a doubles event, that way you would have 16 participants rather than only 8. As sir m1ke has said a published rulespack helps no end in helping people decide if they want to go or not, at the very least a timetable. May I suggest that some of your team attend events elsewhere, if even just to get some ideas.

Firstly, I'm the guy who organised the day when you three came up Kwi and I would like to explain a few things (that sounded less threatening and provocative in my head.)
I'll quite wilingly throw my arms in the air and accept responsibility for things being a bit ropey last time around. We have ran as a general gaming group for console gaming CCGs etc and Tabletop gaming had only really picked up after our first event in October 2009 which didnt include warhammer at all. We then bumped into a few locals who introduced us to some others and things have picked up from there. The even you guys attended was our first real attempt at trying to organise something and although I have some experience in running a gaming club day to day I had been away from the hobby for 1-2 years and even back when I was still there I had no experience in organising and running a competitive tournament. As a result I had to try and pick things up as best I could and didn't realise how the competitive scene in Northern Ireland had evolved over the years.

Anywho, to try and cut a long story short, we had no idea how things were gonna go so we tried a few things. I had no idea about ETC, WHFB-Ireland etc and as a result I was kinda unprepared for the formality of everything. I can appreciate that for some people it takes an investment of time and in some cases money to travel to an event and so its up to us to make it worth your while. I'm not involved full time with CORE atm due to living and working in Belfast for the year and so Magee is in charge of things this time around. He ran things last time when we had a 2 day event planned and although the second day didnt happen from what I hear the first day was going well (I was unable to attend :( ).

Hope this answers a few questions, I'll let Magee answer questions about the day itself since he's in charge but I'm open to criticism and advice if you have any.
Makenshi
Makenshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Magee Fri Nov 26 2010, 11:58

I hope this message clears everything up and establishes everything that you wanted to know

time table

first battle 11am - 1pm

1-2 break

second battle 2-4pm

4 -5 break

5-7 third battle

prize giving will be after all battles are finished around 7.30 to 8pm

first battle - dawn of war deployment, the primary objective is based on capturing/ contesting more objectives than your opponent, secondary objective is to kill your opponents HQ (pts for each one)

second battle - Spearhead head deployment, the primary objective is to have most kill pts and the secondary objective is the player that controls more table corners than the opponent, (pts for each one)

third battle - pitched battle deployment, primary objective is to get as many units to the centre of the board as possible, secondary objective is to have as many troop choices still alive by the end of the battle (pts for each one)

there are also tactical bonuses but would prefer not to go into detail about them as don't want to give the story away.

basically per battle the player will get a certain amount of pts due to the objectives that they have succeeded in and also if they get any tactical bonuses this will also be added on. the player at the end with the most pts wins the tournament.

In regards to sportsmanship and the painting of the army i will have a voting system made out for this and it will be added to every players pts for the end of the tournament, and this will make it easier for the decision of the winner of the tournament and it will be very unlikely that there will be a tie break. if a tie break happens i will take into consideration everything that the players have gained points on and make an overall decision.

But as of yet there will not be an individual prize for best sportsmanship or best painted army but if we do get a good number on the day then i will add in a prize for both of these categorizes.

as i have added up the rules for each battle i have taken into consideration that special characters are allowed in the tournament as it would make it alot better for the first battle and fact that special characters aren't as overpowered as they previously have been. rules for special characters must be in current codex.

WYSIWYG is not necessary atm as i have not given much notice about the event ahead of time therefore i don't mind if upgrades(or whatever the case) is suppose to be on the model but is not, as long as it is on the army list then that is fine, if you prefer to bring your models with WYSIWYG then go ahead.

on regard to the amount of tables we had last time basically i will do my best so that there is as many tables for the day atm i have definitely got 2 full proper tables with terrain and all on the boards, we have only that one room but i will fill it with tables for the day. i will definitely have at least 6 tables do my best to get more.
this year i have been doing nothing but trying to get battle tables for the events like these but have low budget at the moment so providing as much as i can.

I am also sorry about the late reply of this event as was only informed myself on monday that this event had confirmed the venue so i am basically doing everything i can to get a successful tournament up and running within the short time i have had.

I will also do my best to make sure that all players stay within the venue while the breaks are commenced and if they happen to not be back within the timetable for the next battle i will take action on it to make sure it is not done again.

thanks for all the constructive criticism i hope this has cleared everything up let me know if ive left something out as im sure i have lol.
Magee
Magee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum